Video

Sad Bastard Songs

Oh, dear God, I love sad bastard music.

That “draggin’ your heart on the ground, pain in my soul, so deep I might drown, dear baby PLEASE WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME?!?!?” kind of music.

It speaks to my inner broken self; the one that, even when things are going well, will always go, “Well yeah…but you could still lose it all and be ALONG. FOR-EV-ER.”

My inner broken self is like an angry Eyeore. With piercings who pretends they are a cutter.

So here are some of my favorite Super Sad Bastard Songs.  (There was supposed to be a music player widget here, but me and Grooveshark are in a fight.)  I maybe might have listened to any or all of these songs a’la Bridget Jones; kinda drunk and alone in my pj’s, belting out the lyrics and hoping the neighbors didn’t hear.

I probably shouldn’t admit stuff like that.  But we’re all friends here.

Try not to listen all the way through, though. And afterwards, go get a muffin and a hug.  It’ll help.

Kate Nash – The Nicest Thing

This one breaks my heart.  And the video makes it worse.  I’ve been here.  You know you have too.

**Edit: It has come to my attention that you can’t embed this video.  I refuse to post another, because One: that’s crap and Two: this is the bestes video ever.  View it at YouTube.  We’ll go along with the man.  THIS TIME.

Skunk Anansie – Secretly

Oh, Cruel Intentions, you were the soundtrack of my freshman year of college.  And “Secretly” may or may not have been played on repeat with “Colorblind” by the Counting Crows while lying in my bed in my dorm room, staring up at my “Monet’s Waterlilies” poster.

Maybe.

I don’t wanna talk about it.

Beautiful Disaster – Kelly Clarkson.

I love Kelly Clarkson. We’d totally be best friends. We’d go shopping and get lattes and do each other’s hair and then watch While You Were Sleeping and pretend not to cry at the end and then listen to this song while we hug our pillows and discuss our dreams.

What?  Don’t judge me. (Kels ‘n’ Lyssa, BFF’s 4 eva.)

Absolutely Zero – Jason Mraz

Seriously?  “Absolutely Zero”? What a great SB song title. The only way it could get better would be if it were called, “Lonely for the Rest of My Life, Not Even My Mom Likes Me.”

Fake Plastic Trees – Radiohead

This is the song that would play at the end of the sad indie movie about my life as I walk away from the train station and episodes of my past flash through my head.

Don’t act like y’all haven’t crafted a soundtrack to the movie about your life.

Duffy – Please Stay

Between the lyrics and her voice, I can’t imagine her being able to do anything other than lying on the floor in a giant puddle of pain after singing this.

Your turn!  What’s your favorite sad bastard song(s)?

11 comments on “Sad Bastard Songs

1. Kirsty
    February 11, 2011 at 5:19 am #

I have a pretty embarrassing selection.

Only A Dream by Mary Chapin Carpenter (what? She’s my mum’s favourite, ok? Don’t look at me like that). Little sister singing about big sister leaving home, looking back on carefree childhood days, say it was ooonly a dreeeam…

Somewhere Out There from American Tail. If you can get the version sung by the actual mouse, even better. A song about a lost baby mouse?? Hello! Also in a similar vein, Maybe from the musical Annie is pretty emotional (I did warn you they were embarrassing). In fact if we’re going down the musicals route, pretty much anything from Blood Brothers or Les Miserables would work.

Lastly, anything by the Smiths. How Soon Is Now, for example, contains the line “So you go and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home and you cry and you want to die”. That is HEAVY (you can see why Morrissey is so beloved of angst-ridden men). Also I Know It’s Over is the most wonderfully morose song ever and contains probably the best lyric in history (I know there is nothing less cool than quoting song lyrics like it’s poetry or something, but how awesome is this): “It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind”. You tell it, Moz.

February 11, 2011 at 11:45 am #

TOTALLY not embarrassing!
      An American Tail was the very first tape I owned. I played it on a Rainbow Brite tape player and promptly broke it within a day.
      And don’t get me started on musicals. (Theatre kid.) Maybe This Time from Cabaret and On My Own from Les Miserables slays me every time….

• Kirsty
        February 11, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

That is hilarious! Ah, Rainbow Brite… We had the Linda Ronstadt version of Somewhere Out There on a record for years but my brother recently downloaded the film version for my mum – when the wee mouse’s voice cracks on the high note, it’s almost too much.

On My Own is just the start – what about A Little Fall Of Rain? Or Empty Chairs at Empty Tables?? So wonderfully tragic! And if you haven’t heard it, you need to get onto Tell Me It’s Not True from Blood Brothers right now. Oh, I could go on… (husband doesn’t like musical theatre. Clearly I am starved of musical chat. I’ll stop now).

2. irisira
    February 11, 2011 at 6:33 am #

I was a huge huge huge Dave Matthews Band fan all throughout high school and college (Crash was the first thing I bought with money I had earned from my first summer job … that sort of stuff stays with you). When I was a senior in college, a friend said (in reference to another friend’s AIM away message … hey, dating myself, remember those?), “Only people who are depressed quote Dave Matthews.” She was right, it’s very true! Some of his songs are (relatively) uplifting, but most are for wallowing. Whenever I’m in the mood to wallow, I plug in my iPod and put on all DMB, all the time.

February 11, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Oh, DMB. I think of them less as Sad Bastard and more as Stoner Jams, but that may have been the people in college with whom I associate DMB. 🙂

• irisira
        February 14, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Oh, definitely stoner jams, too. I think the categories have a lot of overlap.

We had a kickass DMB cover band that played in my college town frequently. Those were my fave nights out. 🙂

3. Mary
    February 11, 2011 at 11:08 am #

“Your Dictionary” by XTC. It is BAD. ASS. It makes me righteously pissed off even when I have nothing to be righteously pissed off about.

“The Chain” by Ingrid Michaelson is a little more wallowy, but I love it. I’m such a sucker for piano.

“So Sick” by Ne-Yo made me cry back when my first loser high school boyfriend dumped me. It’s also got a nice beat to it.

And finally, along the musicals route as Kirsty said, “There’s a Fine Fine Line” from Avenue Q is perhaps the gloomiest thing I’ve ever heard sung by a puppet.

February 11, 2011 at 11:49 am #

I listened to The Chain this morning! It iis my official favoritest song ever. Or at least for the next few weeks.

4. Christy
    February 14, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

Ohhhh ohhhh Fake Plastic Trees is a killer for me. And there’s a Keane song as well that now I can’t think of – dammit. And an old school one by Matchbox Twenty. (Yes, I’m that lame) If only I could think of them right now!

Funny how I can listen to a song that was my Sad Bastard song during one of my past relationship break-ups and it makes me feel completely miserable – like I’m right back in that place, 3 or 6 years ago. So weird. But I keep listening. And wallow in it. And then I stop and remember I’m happy. haha

5. Joanna
    February 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

Oh my goodness! Love reading all of your posts, Alyssa. So glad you have your own blog! (I’ve hopped over from APW). You’re the funniest person ever.

Just wanted to point out that Fake Plastic Trees (yes, an incredibly sad, sad bastard song) is Radiohead, not Coldplay. I love Radiohead, in my opinion they totally top Coldplay.

Please keep writing about stuff that is totally normal and weird and funny. It’s spectacular how fascinating it is to read about someone who so closely reminds you of yourself. (I don’t mean I’m funny like you. My comedic routines don’t play out well on the internets. I just mean that we have similar sensibilities, ya know?)

February 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm #