A bright shining hope…

In a time when people use conspiracy theory to hide racism,

when major geological disasters happen and are forgotten scant months later,

when our government is at war with each other, as well as other countries, without remembering why,

when women still make 77 cents to a man’s dollar…

we at least have this.

Jem is coming back to television.

It’s on some channel called the Hub, which I’ve never heard of; but in a world when Jerrica, Synergy and Stormy are on tv again, things can’t be all wrong, right?

Right.

Because we are all effing truly truly truly outrageous.

Suck it, Lady Gaga.

There can be only one.

Images from here, here and here.

25 comments on “A bright shining hope…

1. Virginia
    April 29, 2011 at 7:54 am #

The Hub is Hasbro’s (the toy company) new tv channel…..my honey works there (Hasbro, not The Hub)! They are continuing to bring awesomeness to the world in the form of Jem and play-doh…..:) So excited to see Jem again!

April 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

OMG, do you guys get free play-doh?!?

2. heather
    April 29, 2011 at 8:31 am #

Oh, crap! JEM was my favorite show when I was younger. I still know the words to the theme song. This is awesome!

April 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

I know, right??? It’s been in my head all day….

3. Vee
    April 29, 2011 at 10:13 am #

I loved Jem so freaking much as a kid!!!

April 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

Me too! I’m gonna have to drink a Capri-Sun while watching it, just to relive those days…

4. TheBullMonkey
    April 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

I am losing my mind! So awesome and I actually get that channel! I’ve been watching old Batman episodes (The 60’s Adam West Batman) randomly on there. JEM is my cartoon idol and this has made my life!!!!!!

April 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

If we don’t have this channel, I’m calling my cable provider and putting the smack down.

5. Lauren
    April 29, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

OH MY GOD. This is me, at 5 years old.

Hell. Yes.

April 29, 2011 at 2:26 pm #

I had the Jem doll that turned into Jerrica when you put her pink hair until as beret that never fit right….She was HUGE compared to my Barbies, though…so she always played the bad Barbie who pushed people down the stairs. (I watched too many soap operas as a child.)

6. Chantal
    April 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Ok, We have to hurry home after school to get to the tv by 4pm. Your house or mine?…..Nevermind, yours. Mom made biscuits. Show time, Synergy.

April 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

YES. But make sure Ashy doesn’t come over, she’ll want to touch our stuff. And bring that Tiffany tape so we can make our music videos again. We’re gonna be STARS…..

7. Ailee
    April 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

I had to come out of my lurkdom for this(I’ve been reading APW for about two years and never commented ONCE, and been reading your blog to the beginning).

But after the disgusting displays I’ve seen in politics recently, compiled with the subtle racism I feel at work, THIS is truly a glimmer in the darkness.

When I was a little girl my favorite person was my grandmother-never mind that my mother, her daughter, HATED me spending too much time there -for some reason my grandmother’s alcoholism never left my mother feeling perfectly secure- and one of those childish reasons was because she rented me episodes of Jem from the video store.

Jerrica, Synergy and Stormy are my homegirls from waaaay back, and everyone knows its your girlfriends that really help you get through.

8. Kirsty {a safe mooring}
    April 29, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

Glamour and glitter, fashion and fame, once you’re a Jem girl you’re never the same! Come on, come on and be a Jem girl, Jem! Jem is my name!

Watching Jem was without a doubt the highlight of every childhood visit to my aunt in California (I don’t think it was on in the UK, although I may be wrong).

I’m pretty sure it was also the low point of the visit for the rest of my family. Oh well.

May 2, 2011 at 10:59 am #

People just don’t understand Jem. It’s totally their loss.

9. Nikki
    April 29, 2011 at 9:40 pm #

I feel like I’ve found my people! I loved Jem, too, but mostly I get a blank stare when I mention it. I’m pretty sure watching Jem and She-Ra made me who I am today 🙂

May 2, 2011 at 11:01 am #

YES! What the hell happened to all the kick-ass women of our childhood?

10. KatjaMichelle
    April 29, 2011 at 11:47 pm #

OMG OMG OMGOMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOM OMGOMGOMGOMG …. nope I have no real words too excited for words IT”S JEM!!!!!!!!

May 2, 2011 at 10:46 am #

HA! I have NO idea what that show is…but it looks pretty…ridiculous and awesome. Can’t wait.

May 2, 2011 at 11:06 am #

WHAT?!? I just….I can’t….I don’t even know what to say to this. I’m heartbroken…

May 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

Was this a show on cable? I have a vague recollection of people talking about it, but I’ve never seen it. We didn’t have cable.

May 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Hmmm. I have no clue, but probably. When I was watching this I didn’t know anything about channels. Pretty much everything was just “on TV” except for movies, which was “on HBO” because that was the special channel.

13. VNikol
    February 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

I swear we must’ve lived across the street from each other at some point in my middle school life and just never met till now… JEM! Are you effing’ kidding me! I loved Jem/Jerrica and as soon as I laid eyes on her logo like a bright shiny beacon of hope smack dab in the middle of the page, the theme song clicked in my head like it was 1986. The metallic pink dress, the pink star earrings & that fringed belt… don’t even get me started on ‘Twilight In Paris’ (can someone please let Kanye & Jay know that Jem was there first) that was my JAM! It would be my karaoke song if it were only on the roster… and to think, I was seriously engrossed in the seriousness of where this post was headed.. very well played.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Feast!! | Duke of Sandwich - April 29, 2011

[…] a nerd, through and through, and Good Eats is like Mr. Wizard for cooking.  (Side note: Jem is coming back! I adored that cartoon, it was second only to She-Ra   in my personal pantheon, and I’m […]