Pen Pals!: July Prompt

Alrighty, we are ready for our July go-round of Pen Pals!  Everyone who is participating will have gotten their person by now; you won’t be writing to the same person you’re getting a letter to, so you’ll make two new friends! (and if you wanted to participate but forgot, sorry!  We’ll get you next time…)

I was going to give a few prompts, but let’s keep this one simple.

Write your letters to each other with the beginning line, “When you come to visit, we will….” and then go on to tell your partner what you’d take them out to do in your hometown.

If you’ve recently moved, or think where you live blows, write about where you’d take them if the both of your visited another city that you know well.  Tell them where you’d go visit, what fun things you’d do and most importantly, where you’d eat.

Use pretty paper, plain notebook paper, notecards, whatever you want!  And remember, you can include surprises in the letter, but everything has to fit in a regular size envelope. (Please note, do NOT send baby powder.)

It’s such a small group that I tried my best to match up strangers, but don’t be surprised if you know your pen pal.***   Once you have their info, you can keep it a secret or let them know, it’s up to you!

After you receive your letter, email me about it and we’ll post reactions here on the blog.  Let us know what kinds of activities that your pal dreams up, it’ll give us an insight into somewhere we’ve never been!  (You can even take photos if you think the paper, envelope or the contents are especially fun; any address information or portions of the letter itself will be blacked out.)  However, this is not mandatory.  Don’t feel like you have to share your letter; and letter-writers, don’t feel pressure to be super interesting.

The deadline is July 31st, so please get your letters in the mail by then!   Remember, this is intended to be an one-time deal so don’t be upset if your pen pal does not write you back.  (But please let me know if they don’t write you at ALL….)  If this is fun, we’ll try it again next month!

Image from We Heart It

***Also, apparently I’m kind of crap at organizing stuff.  There was a spreadsheet and color coordinating and all kinds of craziness.  Don’t get me wrong, I love me some spreadsheets, but I might have messed this up JUST a little bit with the matching and the whatnot.  But you’ll forgive me, love me and chalk it up to a learning process, yes?  Yes.

15 Comments on “Pen Pals!: July Prompt”

1. d-day
    July 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

Alyssa you are so awesome. that is all.

July 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Plot plot plot plot plot. SO. MUCH. FUN!

3. Nicole
    July 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

So. Excited.

4. chicago13
    July 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Yay! I want to write it now!

5. pinchofthis
    July 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

yes!! this is going to be so much fun.

6. Tara
    July 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

GAH! So fun! Glad I found out about it. Hmmm… now what to do, what to do…

7. Madge
    July 19, 2011 at 4:57 am #

i’ve tried explaining this to real life people and they did not get it.

i’m not wasting my time on RL people ever again! they’re rubbish! i LOVE the internet and all who sail in her! :)

8. Madge
    July 19, 2011 at 5:02 am #

also, i have a question (sorry!) should the letter ARRIVE by the 31st?

that feels like a stupid question, but i need to plan international mailing in and don’t want to leave people hanging around thinking i’m rubbish (which i am, but i’m not AWFUL-rubbish, just usual-rubbish).

blah. i make no sense today.

July 19, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

Nah, just have it in the mail by the 31st. I’ll do more than a few posts on the letters as updates trickle in….

9. ElfPuddle
    July 19, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

My letter WILL NOT arrive before the 31st. The fiance’s kids are here until Saturday….and I have to leave the interwebs now. :)

10. chicago13
    July 30, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Accck!!! I just realized it’s July 30th. And mine won’t go out until Monday. And it may or may not be international. I’M SO SORRY. Pen pal, you WILL get a letter. I promise.

For now, I feel like the parent who is picking her children up very late from school.

11. cindysavage
    July 30, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

Dear person who gets my letter: sorry if you can’t read it. I type everything these days, and I could no longer achieve the “A” I got in handwriting in the third grade. Love, Cindy.

12. Heather G
    August 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm #

I love being a pen pal! I’m a nerd! I don’t care!

13. Red (@cupcake_orgasm)
    August 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

Ok so I moved on Aug 1st… I’m just sitting down to write my pen pal letter (sorry!) I meant to get this written in July but there was packing to do. I’ll do better next round, promise!

14. Katie Mae
    August 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

My pen pal (the one I wrote to) WROTE ME BACK and it’s
    super cool. So excited. My husband doesn’t get it at all.

Tara, if you’re reading, thanks! I’ll be writing you back but it might be a little while.