The Jars of Lady B: Glass Painting

Starting off the “Jars of Lady B”** project, I went easy and used glass paint on them.  As Madge pointed out in the comments, a much more AWESOME medium would have been Liquid Rainbow, but it’s been discontinued.  *sniff*  So I made do with a glass painting set.

Glass paint kit

These were done on a very relaxing Saturday on my butt in my living room watching Buffy.  (Middle of Season 6, right around the good parts.  You know what I’m talking about…)

I used designs from Carlton Hibbert’s pattern site as a template, but that didn’t work out quite as well as I wanted. I had to cut the stencil in sections to get it to stick to the properly, which was fine but a pain.  Also?  Spilled glass paint on a shirt will not come out.  Don’t even try.

Maggie does not care about painting.

I used several different shades of green, trying to look like leaves.  They look like fish to me actually….  Also, the blank spot at the top is where the stencil stopped.  But I’m going to pretend I meant to do that and call it art.

Maggie, stealth photo-bomber.

Gross.

This was just a mess.  (Why I’m surprised, I have no idea.)  The squeezy bottle of leading was hard to squeeze and made my thumb go numb.  Also, the tip SUCKED.  It was really hard to get a nice consistant line, much less a thin one.  Then again, I spent ten bucks on this kit at Michael’s AND I used a coupon.  I don’t know why I expected more from it…

Disgraceful.

Also, apparently you can’t just dump the glass paint over the outline and just smear it around.   I got a little lazy towards the end, can you tell?

I’ve also realized I have little to NO artistic talent with painting.  Which BLOWS because that’s one of the things on my Life List.  Gonna have to work on that…take a class maybe.  After my knitting classes.

“You call this art?  I can’t even LOOK at it….”

So my first try is less of a success than anticipated.  Maybe I should try jello next….

** Lady B is my sister-in-law.  Calling them the “glass vases I got from my sister-in-law who got them at Hobby Lobby” didn’t have the panache.

About these ads

31 Comments on “The Jars of Lady B: Glass Painting”

1. Zan
    May 11, 2011 at 6:22 am #

There’s a reason I told you to do the jello. Results GUARANTEED. (Nom nom nom)

May 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Jethro will totally not let me eat out of these. As an environmental scientist, he will start screeching about food-grade containers and lead and histoplasmosis… It’s the same reason that if I ever try to make macarons and their aged egg whites, he might divorce me.
      The wuss.

However, I do plan on getting a mess of gelatin and food coloring and expereimenting.
      There will be a dinosaur involved.

2. Madge
    May 11, 2011 at 7:53 am #

actually, i think they’re cool. the green fish one especially. from an initial glance at the post, i thought the blank section was intentional.

glass paint is, as we’d say in ireland, a pain in the hole. the leading gets wodged up (technical term) in the tip and poking about with a needle to make it clear is never entertaining. at least you didn’t schmear it. that is heartbreaking after spending 45 minutes being super über careful and then, whoops, slip of the hand and you’ve decimated it beyond repair.

so, to recap, YAY! TWO VASES!
    and anyway, art is kinda like the first pancake rule: the first one is expected to be delicious, but funky.

3. Madge
    May 11, 2011 at 7:56 am #

also, this has nothing to do with glass paint, but having written “pain in the hole” it then made me think of the quaint expression we have “go hang it off your hole” if someone says anything that annoys you.

ironically, this isn’t a mjaor insult.

i’m going to try and get everyone in my workplae saying this (i work in london. this could end badly…)

May 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Not only have you given me two new Irish phrases and a new word that I might start using immediately, you’ve introduced me to the “pancake rule.” I must start incorporting this into my life.
      Does it apply to kids? Cause I’m pretty sure we might mess the first one up….

Plus, you’re Irish. I have a VERY Irish married name and I’ve been informed that we love all things Irish. Although, we’ve been doing research on Ancestry.com and I have serious reason to believe that the Irish part of my husband’s family is actually Swiss.
      He’s pissed.

• Ali
        May 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

Just in case you were wondering, the pancake rule ABSOLUTELY applies to kids. I’m the oldest, and I can speak from experience.

Delicious but funky. Yes.

• Madge
          May 12, 2011 at 4:09 am #

i apply the pancake rule anywhere i feel it would make me feel better about something that’s a bit iffy first time round.

i use it A LOT :)

• Madge
        May 12, 2011 at 4:08 am #

Irish-ness is great. man, we got EVERYWHERE the last few centuries.

the swiss are good, but they’re no irish. they do excellent clocks and chocolate though. we got whiskey and potatoes (although, actually, thinking about it, those are both pretty wonderful also).

We’re not a brilliant nation for record keeping at times (no one knows when my gran or any of her family were born because the church that held the records was either burnt or flooded. she used this excuse to have two birthdays, like the queen) it could be that Jethro’s family had a similar fate and irish records were lost after they went to SWtizerland (where they are VERY good at documentation) and that’s why it stops in switzerland.

If i spin that out long enough would that make him feel better?

May 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

SEE?!? His sister pointed all that out – cheese, chocolate, clocks, knives; the Swiss are good for many things!

And honestly, it probably will comfort him. “See honey…all your records were probably burned up in a fire that damaged major buildings and possibly injured people. Doesn’t that make you feel better?”
          And it would, the turd.
          I think he just doesn’t want to have to throw out our coat of arms that we’ve got hanging up….

4. ElfPuddle
    May 11, 2011 at 8:46 am #

I really like the green one, ESPECIALLY the blank at the top. What do you mean you didn’t mean that to happen? Balderdash! You did, and it looks good.

May 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Thank you!

Balderdash! Anothing word I need to start using ona regular basis…

5. Katie Jane
    May 11, 2011 at 9:27 am #

I like the green one a lot actually! I wish I could paint too. My grandma is an incredible painter, and I always wanted to be just like her, but it’s a no go.

May 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

I dated a painter. He was a horrible human being but a startlingly good artist. It was so not fair….

6. Ali
    May 11, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Eh, you’re being too hard on yourself. These are awesome! I actually like the smeariness of the third one…it looks intentional. But I have weird taste…

Regardless of matters of taste, it was an awesome Saturday anyways, right? I mean, Smashed…

OOOOooooh, that Spike. Way better than that wussy, feely Angel. :D

May 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

Thanks! And is that AMY POND as your avatar? You’re amazing…

May 11, 2011 at 10:26 am #

I’m with Ali — you are way to hard on yourself. I think they look cute. Sure they don’t look like something perfect that was mass produced, but isn’t that the whole point. You should be proud of yourself for doing something creative. And with practice you’ll get better.

May 11, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

The trick is getting me to stick with anything long enough to GET good at it. Even by the end of the day on Saturday I was like, “GOD, this takes so LONG…..” :-)

8. Nicole
    May 11, 2011 at 10:33 am #

At first glance, vase number 1 made me think of bluebonnets. perhaps I’ve been away from Texas for too long. Either way, I like ‘em. And I think I really like the pancake rule.

May 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

I might need to embroider the pancake rule on a sampler….

And I get teh bluebonnet thing! Though they look less like the actual ones and more like what people paint on the sides of galvanized steel buckets and then sell for $80 in souvenior shops….

9. Meg Mooney
    May 11, 2011 at 10:58 am #

I’m frickin’ honored!

May 11, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

You say that now, just wait until I box all of them up and send them back to you….

10. Nina
    May 11, 2011 at 11:17 am #

I’d like to put an order in for one of them green fishy ones – it’s awesome! Especially with the blank space at the top, totally adds to it. Yay for unintentional artistic success!

May 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

Don’t say that, because Jethro is gonna be looking for a place for me to put these things when I get bored; he’ll find your address and make you keep it. He’s handy on the internets….

11. Chantal
    May 11, 2011 at 11:26 am #

Define artistic talent. I don’t think there is a right way or a wrong way to do anything “artistic”. Art is art and what you did is art. And awesome. I actually prefer things that are “imperfect”; it gives it more character and depth. Keep it up and send me some of your art. :)

May 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Well, I’m defining what I did as crap cause I don’t like it. But I greatly appreciate your validation. Keep telling me things like that, especially when I send you some of my stories. (Which I need to do….)

And if you get the products of my desperate need to find a hobby I can do while watching Glee for Chrstmas, don’t get mad at me…

May 11, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

i love the first one! they turned out great, alyssa, you’re being too hard!

13. tirzah
    May 11, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

I think everyone else will like them better than you do. :) I think they’re quirky and lovely and colorful and GREAT!

14. Chantelle
    May 12, 2011 at 10:44 am #

fishies= totally purty :)

15. ddayporter
    May 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

ok I’m a bit behind on some commenting, sorry this is out of the blue at this point but I have to say WOW! I’m really impressed with the time and effort you put into these. definitely one of those projects I would buy the supplies for and then let it gather dust in some corner. so way to follow through! I really like the fishy/leafy one, rill pretty! I actually like the other one too, maybe put it somewhere it’s really only viewed from a distance..? ha.

and maggie is ADORABLAY aaahhhh! love when she pops into the photos (btw that first one of her is just begging for some Paint work). LOVE that one of her as the stealth photo-bomber. <3

16. VNikol
    February 21, 2012 at 2:13 am #

I’m looking at these and thinking, “nice!” – I think you did a good job but I have zero artistic ability & I majored in it in high school, all four years. Had teachers bartering with me – allowed me to submit poetry in exchange for several assignments… now you KNOW that’s gotta be pretty bad.

17. Glennis
    August 2, 2014 at 11:55 am #

I came to your The Jars of Lady B: Glass Painting | Kind of a Mess page and noticed you could have a lot more traffic. I have found that the key to running a website is making sure the visitors you are getting are interested in your subject matter. There is a company that you can get visitors from and they let you try the service for free. I managed to get over 300 targeted visitors to day to my site. Visit them today: http://copyranger.com/a/l