My Happy Writing Place

No one told me that when  you got married, the person you married would be able to touch all your stuff.

I mean, I KNEW Jethro would touch my stuff, it was now our stuff after all, but living together didn’t prepare me for the marital touching of stuff.  And moving of stuff. And rearranging of stuff.  And, God forbid, the cleaning out of stuff.

Not that you could tell from the title of this blog, but I’m…less than organized.  (That sound you hear is the hooting laughter of former roommates and my mother.  Don’t worry, karma will get them in the end.)

But I do have a method to my madness.  I have piles of stuff.  And I’m usually in the middle of several projects at once, so when I move from one to the other, I like to leave my pile where I put it.  Neatly arranged, but still WHERE I PUT IT.

Now, Jethro isn’t a cleaner. Actually, that’s not true.  He’s a slob on most days, until some random hormone hits him and he’s “MASTER CLEANSER.”  Suddenly, my piles give him hives and he must attack them.  Vigorously.  Until they are dead, dead, dead.

Or at least stacked somewhere.

This creates a problem.  Because I like my piles where they are, thank you very much.  And if you move them, you fuck with my chi.  It messes with my head, jacks up my universe and makes me no fun to deal with.

Ah, marital bliss.

Anyway, I thought I’d share my idea of my perfect spaces.  With my perfect stuff.

Cuz here on my blog, Jethro can’t touch my shit.

In my happy writing space, there is only happy writing instruments.

Like these.  Fun pens.  Preferably glitter gel pens.

4078846939_dc6cb1e540_o

But if I’m getting down to business, it’s got to be Uniball ImpactRT gel pens in 1.0mm ink.  Seriously.  None of this 0.7mm shit.

2960403574_be930d3359_oI also need wide-ruled paper.  I have bad handwriting, I need the space.

I also need a few specific tunes.

My Adele station on my Pandora is just about perfect.  Enough old school soul with some new singer-songwriters to keep me from getting bored.

BUT, if I’m doing something that requires focus, I need two things.

4094031887_0c94a22b23_o

Sarah McLachlan’s Fumbling Toward Ecstasy, and Mindy Smith’s One Moment More.  I know both albums well enough that I don’t feel the need to sing along or skip songs and muck up my zen.  Melancholy chick music makes me write.  Don’t judge.

I also need Bejeweled.  Or Solitaire.  For those thinking bits, where you’re really just giving your brain a break because if you kept going you’d realize that you hit a rut and you are a HORRIBLE writer and you suck suck SUCK.

*Ahem*

Exif_JPEG_PICTUREI used to need these.  Preferably vanilla Sweet Dreams and coffee with one sugar two creams.  Oh, coffee and cigarettes, you’re like the dirty lovers that I can never go back to.  I miss you so…

It’s just so damned hard to be hardcore drinking yerba mate.  *sigh*

And finally, Maggie the Wonder Dog.  Because you need something to warm  your feet.  And to tell you that you’re wonderful – piles of shit, bad writing and all.

Images from vanessa.michelle, therubberduckie, I am I.A.M., igorschwarzmann

18 Comments on “My Happy Writing Place”

1. d-day
    February 3, 2011 at 8:53 am #

I have very strong feelings about my pens also. and you can feel free to post as many pictures of that adorable maggie as you are inspired to do.

I love love love your blog so far. the layout is neato.

February 3, 2011 at 9:50 am #

People underestimate the importance of the pen.

Or they steal the pen. I like to put Lisa Frank stickers on mine, to discourage that.

2. Trisha
    February 3, 2011 at 10:08 am #

I think that we’re long lost sisters or something. Really. I can so relate to the piles. really, it’s not the mess it looks like. It’s more organized mess than it looks like. To me anyway. Also, mopey chick music while writing is awesome. I’m a huge fan of Sarah McLaughlin, but also Trespasser William’s Different Stars, and Dido’s No Angel.

February 3, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

One man’s mess is another man’s to-do pile.

February 3, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Having your favorite pen is KEY. The weight, the way it writes, the thickness of the ink… yes. I have two I go back and forth between, depending on what I’m writing on. I LOVE them.

People that mess with my pens DIE.

February 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

YES. I give people the stink-eye when they admire my pen. It means they might possibly steal it and I’ll have to set them on fire.

February 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

Wait. When you’re married, they get to touch your stuff?

I think I need to reconsider this engagement.

February 3, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

BUT, people give you more stuff when you get married. And you can make them move your heavy stuff. So it eventually ends up being a win.
      Eventually.

5. Mary
    February 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

I have an unhealthy addiction to pens. When I was a kid, at school I used to trade my pens and pencils with the other kids to try to get the best ones. Of course, now that I’m a grown-up, I can just go buy my own awesome pens at Office Max. Oh, writing utencils!

February 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

Cute!! As long you didn’t steal them. Pen stealers are the devil.

6. irisira
    February 3, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

My husband is pretty nuts about his uniball pens,but he’s opposite and actually likes the .5 mm pens (better for grading, he says). My handwriting is so bad I prefer the cheap-o Bic ball point pens, because I make a royal mess of the uniball. My old boss has HORRIBLE handwriting, and would make a black smudgy mess of memos … decoding it was always a fun challenge, because no one ever dared ask him what his scribbles actually said. :)

I feel sorry for the guests who got my thank you notes, instead of C’s. My handwriting is truly abysmal.

Anyway, I already adore this blog. I fail in the kitchen. I’m a cluttered mess. I never feel as put together as I think I should on any given day. :)

February 3, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

We are soul sisters, fellow Messy Girl!

Uniballs for the win! (I really just wanted to virtually holler out “uniballs”.)

7. Jen
    February 4, 2011 at 5:35 am #

I’m totally Jethro in this scenario!

Except for the pens. None of this .7 mm bullshit.

Someone keeps stealing my pens off the desk at work…so I’ve started laying .7 mm plants in hopes they’ll keep their dirty paws off my 1.0 mm uniballers! Maybe I should try Lisa Frank next.

February 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Or My Little Pony stickers. The more sparkly the better.

8. Caitlin
    February 4, 2011 at 7:49 am #

I think we married long-lost twins. Or at least soul twins, or something weird like that. The slob turned Master Cleaner is a story I know all too well.

ps. I hope your APW salary paid for some super awesome new uniballs.

February 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

Pens and candy. Forget things like bills or food. I buy the important stuff.

9. CarolineEr
    February 9, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

My eyes widened when I read the first line. It literally never occurred to me that my fiance might end up touching all my stuff. I freaked for half a second, took a deep breath, and realized that he probably has stuff, too… (fortunately, i’m in a decluttering frenzy — see http://bit.ly/b8X9KZ).

Anyway, I recommend Papermate Flair pens. They actually make my handwriting better. Also, they come in pretty colors.

I’m not a complete flake. I promise.

10. Jenny- Adventures Along the Way
    February 14, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Oh, I write really big too. I always overflow out of the blanks, anytime I have to sign something or fill in some blank. I like paper too. Fun pens and fun paper. And I have lots of piles. But I have a system. And I can usually find stuff. Thankfully, S doesn’t move my piles and I leave his disassembled computers untouched too. :)